As they say, “your hair is your crowning glory”. It symbolises beauty, health, vitality and tells so much about you and your personality. That’s why hair thinning can cause significant anxiety and worry. For years, many have concocted what they claim are hair loss remedies. Some work and the others don’t. Fortunately, advancements in technology, have led to the creation of safe and effective hair loss treatments available today.
Causes of Thinning Hair
Hair fall is normal; a person loses 50-100 hair strands per day. Considering there are around 100,000 hairs on one’s head, and it’s growing at a relatively consistent rate of about half a millimetre per day, that number shouldn’t be a cause of concern. The average hair loss is unnoticeable.
Hair loss issues occur when new hair doesn’t replace the hair that has fallen out and here are some causes:
- Aging (Androgenic alopecia)
- Poor nutrition
- Excessive hairstyling and treatments
- Hormonal changes (e.g. menopause, thyroid problems, pregnancy, childbirth)
- Side effects of medications or supplements
- Scalp infections – (e.g. ringworm)
- Radiation therapy
- Hair-pulling disorder (Trichotillomania)
- Medical conditions – Alopecia Areata immune system-related that causes patchy, Anemia
Symptoms of Hair Loss
Speak with a medical professional or seek hair loss treatments if you see persistent hair loss or notice these symptoms:
- Loosening of hair – when you notice handfuls of hair when combing, washing, running your fingers through your hair or even after a gentle tugging
- Thinning on top/ Receding hairline – common balding caused by aging. It will show a gradual receding of the hairline and bald spots in men and thinning hair around the crown of the scalp in women.
- Patchy bald spots – can happen on head, eyebrows, beard. The skin may also feel painful or itchy before the hair starts to fall out.
What Hair Loss Treatments Can You Opt For?
To choose the right hair loss treatments, you need to speak with a medical professional to determine the cause. Here are some common remedies:
- Diet – Include food rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as nuts, eggs, and fish that help lower inflammation and make the scalp healthy.
- Supplements – Some supplements help stimulate hair growth (e.g. Iron, Zinc, Biotin, Niacin (Vitamin B3) and Vitamin C)
- Managing stress – Doing Yoga or meditation, exercising, going on holidays and taking short breaks are some ways to relieve stress.
- Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment – uses your own platelets to stimulate the growth of new cells. It causes soft tissue to undergo an accelerated healing and regeneration process.
Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment is where a level of your blood is extracted from you and placed in a centrifuge. The centrifuge then separates the red/white blood cells from the plasma. The platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is removed and using a series of fine needles the PRP is injected into the deep dermal layers of your scalp to stimulate new hair growth.
If you’re suffering from hair thinning or balding and it’s causing you overwhelming distress and a lack of self-confidence, know that you’re not alone. Hair loss is a very emotional thing for many. With the proper diagnosis, you will find the most effective for hair loss treatments that will help get your crowning glory back. Find a CST clinic near you and speak with our medical professional for an in-depth consultation.